How To Make a Paper Quilt!

Hi Everyone, Jean here.

I have always loved quilts, quilt patterns, and quilt fabrics, although I’ve never actually done any quilting!  I was immediately drawn to the fabric-inspired Simple Stories Harvest Lane papers, introduced at CHA in July. I paired the papers, as well as a few from Simple Stories Homespun Holiday and My Mind’s Eye Gnome Sweet Home, with the adorable cottage stamp from the Neat & Tangled Sweet Home stamp set to create an autumn-themed home decor project.

Sweet Home Paper Quilt

I wanted to waste as little paper as possible for the project, so before I cut anything, I evaluated the paper patterns. The larger patterns were used for the background and the smaller ones for the cottage. I laid the cottage stamp over the papers to evaluate whether a paper would work or not.

UpCloseCottage 

Next, I die cut the nine background papers with the 3 ½” Lifestyle Crafts square die. Using the die made quick work for this step. I laid the cut squares out on my background 12” by 12” kraft cardstock, but didn’t do any adhering. I also didn't spend too much time deciding which square would go where at this point.

CottageQuiltStep1 

I heat-embossed nine cottages on the smaller-patterned papers and fussy cut them. I laid them out on the larger-patterned squares that I’d paired with them earlier when choosing the papers. 

CottageQuiltStep2 

I felt that the houses needed a little something extra, so I heat-embossed a selection of solid cardstock in matching shades. I fussy cut the doors, windows, and roofs and added the separate pieces to the patterned houses. I spent a bit of time moving the squares around - switching out doors, windows, and roofs - so that I wouldn't be repeating two brown roofs or two red doors (you get the idea) in a row either horizontally or vertically.

CottageQuiltStep3 

I glued the pieces in the reverse order – I adhered the doors and windows first, then the houses to the squares, and finally the squares to the background.  I framed the piece in a 12” x 12” frame.

I’m already thinking about a winter-themed project with the cottage stamp – that roofline would look terrific with some Icicle Stickles!

Supplies:

9 comments

  1. MY OH MY! this is cozy GOODNESS at it's best Jean!...I'm tempted to make some mugrugs from your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! What a brilliant idea! Love this project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the "quilt" As a quilted--infrequent though it may be, your quilt probably had a smaller frustration factor, and smaller cost factor--BUT yours rates very high on the CUTENESS factor!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So charming, Jean! What a great idea to create a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous! Such fabulous colours and great little details with the doors, windows and roofs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow wow wow...so much fussy cutting, but then end result was sooooooooooo worth it (says the girl who did NOT cut these cute little houses and pieces!) I love your paper quilt and all of your pieces are perfectly arranged. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thud! This is amazing. i can't believe how much work went into this, but it's such a big difference when adding the details to the cottage. It truly looks like a quilt and it's worthy of framing and showcasing for a lifetime! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top